Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Australia, walkabouts.

Now for a couple more historical buildings and some of my fun experiences, as I went on my walkabouts here and there around Sydney - sometimes on my own, often with my wonderful tour guide, Angela.
No pigeons, (or seagulls) in this post - just an ostrich  😜



This is a pub/hotel which first opened its doors Christmas eve, 1841, as Pyrmont's first licenced hotel. 
It changed hands a few times over the next 140 years, eventually becoming the property of  Citilease Property Group in 1984.
This new company/owner closed the doors, and the property was ignored for the next 30+ years; sitting empty, doing nothing.










The hotel/building is restored, remodelled somewhat, and reopened under new ownership, after all those years:
The Terminus.
I was there for the reopening, and went with Angela and a few of her friends for dinner and drinks in the back courtyard area. 
I love that they kept most of the original look and feel!  
Nicely done.


This building is located in an area called The Rocks.  It is a tourist and historic area in Sydney's city centre.

The Rocks became established shortly after the colony's formation in 1788 - 230 years ago!
The area was named according to the fact that most of the early homes were built out of local sandstone.
Very original. 😊










Perfect that some of the side "streets" are still cobblestone, with brick buildings!
I love brick.







Some of the old building are still used solely as homes,












while others are homes on the top level, and shops on the street level;
as perhaps they were years ago?



(Look at this; who would not want to shop in a store with a sign like this?! Love it! 😁)


The first school in the area, located on Mount street, same as the school in this Pinterest photo, was opened in 1858. The actual schoolhouse was built/opened in 1892.










During the depression of the 1930's the building was used as a hostel for unemployed men, followed by use as Military Authorities camp accommodation.
It was then used as a college and training facility.
In 1993 the location was refurbished, retaining the original building/look, to provide community and childcare facilities, which continues today.


Sticking with history, it was interesting to come across a couple of monuments in memory of past soldiers - 
this one representing the first British soldiers who came in 1790;  a number of whom stayed, received land, and became self-sufficient farmers/merchants.




 Whereas, this second monument  ⤷  stands in a little square by the old schoolhouse shown above.  This memorial is in honour of the 750 local men who enlisted during WW1; all of whose names can be found listed on this memorial, topped by an angel of peace. 150 died, many more wounded. 

Nice remembrance pieces.



Now, come with me while I wander around the neighbourhood, camera in hand...

Warning - there will be flowers; many, many flowers.
And maybe a bug or two, of course.






If I wandered out Angela's apartment entrance, and around the corner, I soon discovered a secret park area.
(Angela told me...)
Nice.  😊




The area Angela's apartment building is located in used to be the Pyrmont Sandstone Quarry.
I also discovered they not only supplied sandstone locally but supplied it as far away as - Canada! 
That is a looooong way away; I know, I flew it -
and it took forever. 👀
Nice Aussies.  😉


Dean bought me a new camera, for underwater shooting, I thought I would see what it can do above water.

What better test than macro shots of flowers, of course?!




And bugs, naturally.

Can you see him, peeking over the top of the light blue flower bud? Little bug.
What on earth is he looking at?...



Whoa, what the heck:  
bug-sex!
Naughty peeping bug;
a little privacy here, seriously!

Bugga.
















Bugs game: hide-and-... stay hidden.
⥢ These guys prefer their privacy.
Smart bugs.



Shoot yet but once; 
where is a person supposed to focus on this unit? 
So many stamens, so many petals...
Great flower! 
No bugs here.  I am pleased with the macro definition in this shot. This is positive, meaning it should be good underwater also, I hope.
(once I figure it out)




⇠    I like this one also, however it was hard to get the focus just where I wanted it... nice result though.




















Lastly, an action shot. 
This train was moving, fast, away from me. 
Camera set on action - shoot.
Meh, not bad.

And of course, still more to come.


No comments: