Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Australia, walkabouts.

Now for a couple more historical buildings and some of my fun experiences, as I went on my walkabouts here and there around Sydney - sometimes on my own, often with my wonderful tour guide, Angela.
No pigeons, (or seagulls) in this post - just an ostrich  😜



This is a pub/hotel which first opened its doors Christmas eve, 1841, as Pyrmont's first licenced hotel. 
It changed hands a few times over the next 140 years, eventually becoming the property of  Citilease Property Group in 1984.
This new company/owner closed the doors, and the property was ignored for the next 30+ years; sitting empty, doing nothing.










The hotel/building is restored, remodelled somewhat, and reopened under new ownership, after all those years:
The Terminus.
I was there for the reopening, and went with Angela and a few of her friends for dinner and drinks in the back courtyard area. 
I love that they kept most of the original look and feel!  
Nicely done.


This building is located in an area called The Rocks.  It is a tourist and historic area in Sydney's city centre.

The Rocks became established shortly after the colony's formation in 1788 - 230 years ago!
The area was named according to the fact that most of the early homes were built out of local sandstone.
Very original. 😊










Perfect that some of the side "streets" are still cobblestone, with brick buildings!
I love brick.







Some of the old building are still used solely as homes,












while others are homes on the top level, and shops on the street level;
as perhaps they were years ago?



⇝
(Look at this; who would not want to shop in a store with a sign like this?! Love it! 😁)


The first school in the area, located on Mount street, same as the school in this Pinterest photo, was opened in 1858. The actual schoolhouse was built/opened in 1892.










During the depression of the 1930's the building was used as a hostel for unemployed men, followed by use as Military Authorities camp accommodation.
It was then used as a college and training facility.
In 1993 the location was refurbished, retaining the original building/look, to provide community and childcare facilities, which continues today.


Sticking with history, it was interesting to come across a couple of monuments in memory of past soldiers - 
⤶ this one representing the first British soldiers who came in 1790;  a number of whom stayed, received land, and became self-sufficient farmers/merchants.




 Whereas, this second monument  ⤷  stands in a little square by the old schoolhouse shown above.  This memorial is in honour of the 750 local men who enlisted during WW1; all of whose names can be found listed on this memorial, topped by an angel of peace. 150 died, many more wounded. 

Nice remembrance pieces.



Now, come with me while I wander around the neighbourhood, camera in hand...

Warning - there will be flowers; many, many flowers.
And maybe a bug or two, of course.






If I wandered out Angela's apartment entrance, and around the corner, I soon discovered a secret park area.
(Angela told me...)
Nice.  😊




The area Angela's apartment building is located in used to be the Pyrmont Sandstone Quarry.
I also discovered they not only supplied sandstone locally but supplied it as far away as - Canada! 
That is a looooong way away; I know, I flew it -
and it took forever. 👀
Nice Aussies.  😉


Dean bought me a new camera, for underwater shooting, I thought I would see what it can do above water.

What better test than macro shots of flowers, of course?!




And bugs, naturally.

← Can you see him, peeking over the top of the light blue flower bud? Little bug.
What on earth is he looking at?...
↖


Whoa, what the heck:  ⇘
bug-sex!
Naughty peeping bug;
a little privacy here, seriously!

Bugga.
















Bugs game: hide-and-... stay hidden.
⥢ These guys prefer their privacy.
Smart bugs.



Shoot yet but once; 
where is a person supposed to focus on this unit? 
So many stamens, so many petals...
Great flower!  ❤
No bugs here.  I am pleased with the macro definition in this shot. This is positive, meaning it should be good underwater also, I hope.
(once I figure it out)




⇠    I like this one also, however it was hard to get the focus just where I wanted it... nice result though.




















↗
Lastly, an action shot. 
This train was moving, fast, away from me. 
Camera set on action - shoot.
Meh, not bad.

And of course, still more to come.


No comments: